8 Facts about Cleaning and Organization
When making a decision, you usually want a few facts to help weigh what your next step will be. Simplify Your Home decided to research cleaning statistics. We found eight facts on cleaning, organizing and decluttering the home and office to share with you. Some of the results were interesting and help you decide what room you will tackle next.
- Spring Cleaning: The American Cleaning Institute found that 73 percent of Americans think spring cleaning is a tradition worth keeping. Thirteen percent of this group strongly or somewhat agreed that if it wasn’t for spring cleaning, they would probably never clean their home!
- Bathroom: According to a survey by the Soap and Detergent Association (now the American Cleaning Institute), about 50 percent of women and 16 percent of men were unhappy with the way their partners cleaned or didn’t clean the bathroom.
- Get Rid of Clutter: In a different survey, the national Soap and Detergent Association (now the American Cleaning Institute) also found that getting rid of excess clutter would eliminate 40 percent of the housework in the average home.
- Time Spent in a Day on Chores: In its American Time Use Survey for 2011, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that on an average day, 83 percent of women and 65 percent of men spent some time doing household activities such as housework, cooking, lawn care, or financial and other household management.
- Office Workers Waste Time Looking for Information: Price Waterhouse Coopers estimates that workers spend nearly 50 percent of their time looking for information, including paper documents. The average paper document is copied 19 times.
- Adult Closets Get Containers First: Homeworld Business reported that the home area where consumers will most likely use a new storage container was the adult bedroom closet (34.7%). Kitchen drawers/cabinets (18.4%), child’s bedroom closet (11.8%), family room/den (11.4%), home office (10.2%), laundry room (7.4%) and garage (6.1%) rounded out the answers.
- Half of All Garages are Disorganized: According to NAPO (National Association of Professional Organizers), 50% of homeowners rate the garage as the most disorganized place in the house.
- Lost Bills Equal Late Fees: NAPO also found that 23% of adults say they pay bills late and incur fees because they lost them.
Whether it’s facts about cleaning, how-to’s on maintaining your lawn, tips on closing the pool for winter or alternative solutions to storage and moving like containers, Simplify Your Home will help make your life a little easier.