» Moving Items with a Container is Easy, Affordable and Provides Flexibility
Moving soon? Consider using a Container.
When you visualize a container, you might be thinking of the plastic Tupperware you have lying around your kitchen. When Simplify Your Home says container in this post, what we really mean is a portable moving and storage container.
Why? Millions of Americans will move this year. Just like with any other purchase, they want to research the moving choices that will best fit their needs, and the moving companies that are reputable, professional and trustworthy.
At Simplify Your Home, we understand this concept, because the blog is sponsored by United Mayflower Container Services. We were able to tap into the company’s expertise to create a top ten list of why those moving this summer might just want to choose a container. Continue reading
» Four Tricks and Treats of Moving
Top 4 “Tricks” and Top 4 “Treats” of Moving
There is no denying that moving can be stressful. However, there are quite a few upsides to moving too. In honor of Halloween, Simplify Your Home put together a list of four tricks to moving and four treats to moving. Continue reading
» Honoring those Who Serve Our Country
United Mayflower Container Services Supports Give2TheTroops
Today, and every day, United Mayflower Container Services (UMC) honors those who have served and those who continue to serve our country. Continue reading
» Bet You Didn’t Know This about Cleaning
8 Facts about Cleaning and Organization
When making a decision, you usually want a few facts to help weigh what your next step will be. Simplify Your Home decided to research cleaning statistics. We found eight facts on cleaning, organizing and decluttering the home and office to share with you. Some of the results were interesting and help you decide what room you will tackle next.
- Spring Cleaning: The American Cleaning Institute found that 73 percent of Americans think spring cleaning is a tradition worth keeping. Thirteen percent of this group strongly or somewhat agreed that if it wasn’t for spring cleaning, they would probably never clean their home!
- Bathroom: According to a survey by the Soap and Detergent Association (now the American Cleaning Institute), about 50 percent of women and 16 percent of men were unhappy with the way their partners cleaned or didn’t clean the bathroom.
- Get Rid of Clutter: In a different survey, the national Soap and Detergent Association (now the American Cleaning Institute) also found that getting rid of excess clutter would eliminate 40 percent of the housework in the average home.
- Time Spent in a Day on Chores: In its American Time Use Survey for 2011, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that on an average day, 83 percent of women and 65 percent of men spent some time doing household activities such as housework, cooking, lawn care, or financial and other household management.
- Office Workers Waste Time Looking for Information: Price Waterhouse Coopers estimates that workers spend nearly 50 percent of their time looking for information, including paper documents. The average paper document is copied 19 times.
- Adult Closets Get Containers First: Homeworld Business reported that the home area where consumers will most likely use a new storage container was the adult bedroom closet (34.7%). Kitchen drawers/cabinets (18.4%), child’s bedroom closet (11.8%), family room/den (11.4%), home office (10.2%), laundry room (7.4%) and garage (6.1%) rounded out the answers.
- Half of All Garages are Disorganized: According to NAPO (National Association of Professional Organizers), 50% of homeowners rate the garage as the most disorganized place in the house.
- Lost Bills Equal Late Fees: NAPO also found that 23% of adults say they pay bills late and incur fees because they lost them.
Whether it’s facts about cleaning, how-to’s on maintaining your lawn, tips on closing the pool for winter or alternative solutions to storage and moving like containers, Simplify Your Home will help make your life a little easier.
» Moving before School Starts or Moving a College Student into an Apartment? Try a Container.
Top 9 Reasons to Use a Container for Your Move
Moving your whole family before school begins or a college student back to her apartment before the fall semester can sometimes seem overwhelming. The great news is that United Mayflower Containers (UMC) can help make the process smoother and a less stressful. Here are the top nine reasons why: Continue reading
» Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, How do I Pack You?
Tips on Packing Odd-Shaped and Breakable Items
Packing clothes, books and toys seems simple enough. Then you get to items like mirrors, lampshades, figurines and breakable items, and begin to wonder “How in the world do I pack this?” Simplify Your Home offers these packing tips for those items that are fragile or that do not fit-nicely-into-a-box. Continue reading
Posted in Moving, Packing
» Seven Words to Know if You Are Moving
The moving company arrives, walks through your home and gives you an estimate. You read through the documents and are ready to sign when you realize there are a few terms you have not seen before. Continue reading
» Take Time to Prepare Your Family and Your Household for the Upcoming Move
Two to three weeks before moving day, you might get antsy to have everything done. While you may not be able to accomplish everything you want, there are several “to do’s” you “can do.” Here are a few tips: Continue reading