Driving Safely for Your Move
While you will be renting a portable storage container to move your items, you may decide to move some items in your own automobile. It’s really important that you follow these helpful tips to ensure you move your items and yourself safely!
- Ensure the packed items in your automobile do not obstruct your view. You should be able to see through all your rear view mirrors and in your blind spots.
- Don’t speed. You want to get there in one piece; there is no need to rush. It is best to stay at or slightly below the speed limit.
- Avoid all distractions so that you can focus on your driving. This means no applying make-up, eating or talking on your cell phones.
- Make sure you have had enough sleep. It is tempting on long drives to drive into the night or even over night. It is much better to budget for a hotel stay to ensure you are not drowsy when driving.
- Always wear your seatbelt. Not only is it the law but also it is the safest thing you can do for yourself and your passengers.
- Don’t follow too closely. Follow the three-second rule where you pick a stationary spot. When the car in front of you passes this spot, start counting seconds. Three seconds should go by before you pass this same spot.
- Practice defensive driving which means watch out for the other driver.
- Keep your vehicle safe. This is especially important when moving as you have items in your car, which may encourage a break in. When getting gas or eating in, make sure your car is in eye distance at all times.
Road trips are always fun. Just make sure your road trip is a safe one by following these tips!