Now that you have made the phone call to rent your portable storage container, the time has come to pack it up to prepare it for the move. “Simplify Your Home” has these tips to help ensure everything is moved safely and soundly.
Step #1: Inventory all your items.
See our recent blog on how to pack for a move, which has a convenient color-coding inventory system that will make efficient use of your time.
Step #2: Pack your items
Remember these tips when packing boxes:
- Limit the weight of your packed boxes to 50 lbs or less so that it is easy to lift.
- Place 2 inches of crushed newspaper in the bottom of the box for cushioning. As you begin to layer your packed items, continue to cushion with crushed paper. Blankets and towels can also be used for this purpose.
- Wrap items carefully ensuring you have plenty of cushioning to avoid shock
- Pack similar items together.
- Be sure that when you close the box, it closes easily and without force.
To find ways to pack specific items for your move, you can visit United Van Lines website which gives you a detailed list of packing suggestions.
For other household items, consider these tips:
- Clean out large appliances and tape down all moving parts.
- As much as possible, dissemble furniture to save space.
- Wrap upholstered furniture in sofa and chair covers.
- Wrap mirrors and pictures and pack in special-purpose boxes, placing them vertically in the moving storage containers. Do not lay flat.
Step #3: Pack the Moving Storage Container
- Never load more than 2,000 pounds in a container.
- Distribute weight evenly throughout. Don’t place too many heavy items on one side.
- Stand couches on end to make the best use of space.
- Place heavier items on the floor with lighter items on top.
- Packing items as tightly as possible in the container to prevent movement and shifting during transport.
- Place items you may need to access in the front of the container.
After securing your portable moving container, you are ready for its move to your new home.
To see how the experts load a container, watch this video from United Mayflower Container Services.